Thursday, May 21, 2020

Examining My Best Deck, part 2: Events


Lets talk events! I have 10 in this deck, which is the maximum. Out of my eight Spellfire decks, only one has less than 10 events (my Heroes deck only has 5). Events are some of the most powerful cards in the game, and can determine who wins and who is left crying over an incomplete formation.

Let's go through the events I have chosen for my best deck.

Enter Darkness Together
I still remember the thrill I got when I pulled this card out of a pack of Dungeons way back when. It turned out to be one of the final packs of that set I ever opened. Even back then everyone knew this was one of the "big" chase cards from the expansion. It's one of the most powerful Spellfire cards ever printed, able to stop both events and spells. It also cannot be calmed and can't be canceled either - no Intercessions or Limited Wishes or Helms need apply - except by tearing up the card the EDT was played on. You'd have to be really, really desperate to do that...although I have seen someone who wanted an extra turn so bad they tore up their Caravan. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Coming of the Phoenix
I think every deck needs one of these babies. If I want to use my Helm, Delsenora, or Lyr again, they're back! Any champion (except an avatar) flies directly back from the discard pile to play. I can use Korgunard once to rebuild a realm, then use him again! This card even skips that pesky "hand" stuff and places the champ right back into my pool. Great stuff.

The Genie Bottle
I have five of these, all in decks. If I had more they'd be in decks too. What a primo event. This has got to be one of the most underrated cards in Spellfire. The ability to dispel all spells in play, including a just-cast spell, is amazing. Let's say my opponent has one of my champions immobilized with a Mindshatter. They also have a Forbiddance in play, so I can't attack them. Next, they target my front realm with a Raze. It's Genie Bottle time! The Mindshatter and the Forbiddance are instantly gone, and the Raze is countered. Any rule cards and holdings are gone, too...and the Genie Bottle can't be itself countered. My opponent's strategy is now ruined, and I am in a much better position to win the game.

Good Fortune
Anyone who is wondering why Good Fortune is in my deck must be new to the game...very new. I play it, I draw 5 cards. Simple but devastatingly effective. There's a good reason this is one of the prime targets for event-canceling spells like Intercession and Limited Wish. It can literally change the course of the game.

 Tyranthraxus, the Possessing Spirit
I get my opponent's best champion, provided it isn't immune to harmful events. I also get to keep said champion, unlike with Curse of the Azure Bonds. It becomes a monster able to cast wizard spells, which is neat because this deck has wizard spells...and I'd rather cast Wish using a borrowed champion, since there's always the chance Spell Turning is lurking about in my opponent's hand.

Caer Allison
Another of those events that has to be in your deck if you own one. Sure, I can use it to save my champions if my first realm is Cataclysmed...but I don't place champions until I have two realms, unless I'm attacked. The real use of this card is to win the game when I have 5 unrazed realms. Caer Allison will end things in a hurry for me, unless it's canceled somehow.

The Caravan
Taking an extra turn is just about the most powerful effect I can think of. Caravan is a must-have in any deck.

Unusually Good Fortune
I get 3 free cards and the opponent's event still goes off - nobody is wasting an event-canceling card on this. Except if I try to use it on another player's Good Fortune. If they don't stop it, they get no cards and I get 5. That's devastating.

Black Hole
This event is a promo card created by the German Spellfire League. They have a TAV-rules tournament each year and they graciously sent me a professionally printed copy of this promo. Black Hole is a fantastic event that allows me to take my opponent's Caravan, Good Fortune, Spirit of the Land, Labor of Legend, or any other helpful event and use it for myself. They can't stop the Black Hole, only cancel their original event. So either way, once I play this, they won't be getting the beneficial effects. And if they don't want to waste event canceling card on their own event, I'll be getting the 5 cards, the extra turn, or whatever.


Cold Cup Of Calamity
 
Ah, the Cold Cup. Best used right after my opponent has slapped down a Good Fortune or Treasure Fleet, or has just played the Temple Of Elemental Evil or discarded Avanil. I get to take a long look at their fat hand and relieve them of a few "unnecessary" cards. At the right time in the game, the Cold Cup can be devastating. But timing is everything with this card.


Well there you have it, my 10 events. Next time, I'll go through the spells in this deck.

4 comments:

  1. [Portuguese] É uma seleção e tanto. Minha galera gosta muito de Caravana!, Boa Sorte, Cataclisma! e Cerco!. Eu costumo usar eventos da série Mitos e Lentas(da Liga BSW) pra fazer um contraponto criativo nas partidas, pois jogamos todos juntos uns contra os outros, sempre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cataclysm and Siege are good events, too. I do have them in other decks but not this one.

      Delete
  2. Your selection is very dangerous! I don't know why but most of the time I use the letter Transformation... here comes the lyrics of the song by the band Legião Urbana... "when everything is lost, there is always a light..." Big hug!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL yes Transformation can really change a game. I don't have it in this deck but it's a great card in the right situation.

      Delete