Monday, November 8, 2021

Gib Cram!

Who is that handsome devil?

Let's take a look at the only card that features an image of me - Gib Cram. I designed this card for the Chaos sticker set, and my aim was threefold:

1) To make another useful Regent champion. Regents were introduced for the Birthright expansion set in May, 1996, but even though subsequent sets such as 4th Edition and Dungeons included the champion type, there still weren't many playable regents compared to heroes, wizards, etc. I really enjoy using blood abilities, so I made sure Gib Cram was a regent.

2) To make a champion who couldn't be defeated by "the usual suspect" realms such as The Scarlet Brotherhood, Raurin, etc, and shared this ability with the other champions owned by the same player. I have to admit, though, that there is a typo on the card, which is totally my fault. I meant Cram to say "This player's champions and attached cards ignore the special powers and abilities of realms and realm champions". As written, it's ambiguous whether movement restrictions still affect Cram and other champions owned by that player, but I meant them to have no effect whatsoever. So, for example, I meant Cram's owner to be able to attack Ruins of Zhentil Keep with any champion type, and not have to discard a card when attacking White Plume Mountain.

3) To get my picture on a Spellfire card. Mission accomplished!

Personally, I think Gib Cram is one of the most useful champions in the game. Once you slap him down, your champions (whether in pool or in combat) can't be destroyed by Furyondy or eaten by the feral halflings of The Forest Ridge. You can attack realms that would otherwise be off-limits, like Ruins of Iolonia or The Bright Desert. Plus you get to grace your pool with the suavest regent known to exist! It's win-win.

No comments:

Post a Comment